Today I was able to release an update to the SQL Server DB Mirroring Management Pack.
The update doesn’t bring any new features but fixes a potential issue on larger management groups which would lead to discoveries failing. In order to work around this I have altered the Powershell discovery scripts such that they do no longer make use of any SCOM console cmdlets. Instead direct SDK .NET calls are being used. I recommend to update existing installations specifically if you are using management group connectors, the Exchange 2010 correlation engine or other custom MPs which make use of SDK workflows.
Download of the management pack is available trough the SystemCenterCentral.com MP Catalog. You need to register but registration is free.
MP Change History
Version 184.108.40.206 – April, 28 2011 (no functional changes)
- Corrected spelling in language pack.
- Replaced all SCOM shell cmdlets with .NET calls to overcome a potential issue when several connectors and other MPs share a single SDK connection.
- Improved discovery script timing behaviour when using desired configuration for a large number of mirrors.
Version 220.127.116.11 – September, 10 2010
- Support for SQL Server 2005 has been added and compatibility with SQL Server 2008 R2 has been verified. Starting with version 18.104.22.168, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2 are supported.
- Default Display Names of discovered DB Mirror Groups have been shortened and may optionally be changed to a customized string. See the guide for details.
Version 22.214.171.124 – June, 04 2010
- Original release – SQL Server 2008 support only
My latest addition to the community MP catalog augments the SQL Server MP with database mirroring discovery and monitoring. The SQL Server DB Mirroring Management Pack helps you by:
- discovering db mirror roles and objects on SQL 2008 DB engines
- automatically creating service components per mirrored database (consider them mini DADs)
- probe based monitoring of the mirrored DB state with alerting should the mirror no longer run synchronized or loose its witness
- optionally checking the mirror mode and db roles against a Desired Configuration setting (alerts when the mirror roles are swapped etc.)
- delivering mirror inventory and availability reports
DB Mirroring Relationships and Health Roll Up
The Management Pack comes with a comprehensive guide which is a must read. The pack will only work as expected if some prerequisites are met. The guide also discusses how to enable Desired Configuration monitoring for your DB mirrors.
Get the SQL Server DB Mirroring MP from SystemCenterCentral.com (Version 126.96.36.199)
The download also contains an override MP for the SQL Server Extension MP published on OpsMgr Jam. The extension MP already features useful event and performance collection rules that help monitoring an SQL DB mirror but as it does not contain any discoveries, they are targeting any SQL server. My override MP helps by adjusting their targeting so that those rules are only active on SQL Engines that host mirrored DBs.
2010 Management Pack Extension Contest
South Africa 2010 is about to take off and even on planet SCOM we currently have a great tournament:
The System Center Influencers program has sponsored the Management Pack Extension Contest. Entered Management Packs should extend one of the product’s pack with
- diagram or service level
- Visio or Dashboard
- by tuning it
My own MP does certainly extend the SQL Server Management Pack and it does fit more or less into three of the contest categories. The deadline for entries is June 30, 2010. So why don’t you upload your own entries to compete with me?